... an online service that converts uploaded chat logs to another format and returns the new format to the user.Before You Even Think About Using It
You probably can't, at least not as of this post, 21 March 2011. Log2Log is on version 0.0.1a1, which is a very early development release. There are bound to be problems and bugs everywhere. We have acknowledged many of them and would like to fix them, but we're quite excited to get the first release of Log2Log out to you.Why We Made Log2Log
Alright, everybody! Storytime!
I, Deltik, love to use Meebo
as my mobile Internet messenger. Meebo isn't "good", in my opinion, but one thing that made me choose Meebo over other services was that it has the ability to store chat logs. Now, don't argue "But IM+ saves chat logs too!
". Firstly, back then, IM+ didn't save chat logs. Secondly, Meebo didn't cost me a penny. Anyway, I used Meebo often.
Over time, I became increasingly concerned that Meebo did not have a feature to download chat logs. As a personal data hog, I urgently need to have my chat logs with me where I can protect them from harm. Finally, one day, 21 November 2010 at 09:52 PM, I contacted Meebo support to request a feature that had been requested plenty of times before—the ability to download Meebo chat logs. Take a look at my conversation with Meebo Support
One day, 01 January 2011, I reached my frustration threshold and founded the Log2Log project. (It was officially named on 02 January 2011 at 07:50 PM, a candidate among "AdapChat", "Online Chat Log Converter", and "Log2Log".)
After over two and a half months of work, I finally reverse-engineered Meebo and created a fully automated system that can download all Meebo chat logs.
That's not all, folks. I thought that since I was going to convert Meebo chat logs to the format of my current IM client, Pidgin
, I might as well expand Log2Log to a full online chat log conversion service.
In a nutshell, there was a primary reason and a secondary reason for making Log2Log:
- To download Meebo chat logs
- To be a better chat log converter than Chat Log Converter+ by using better algorithms
- You can use the "MeeboConnect" user interface to download Meebo chat logs. Click here to go there.
- You can use "MeeboConnect" to download all the chat logs from your Meebo account. Click here to go do that.
- You can do a export MeeboConnect to the raw Meebo chat log format (not recommended). Click here to go do that.
- You can convert to Pidgin chat logs, even from MeeboConnect. Click here to go do that.
- You can download the source code Log2Log. Click here to go do that.
Deltik is looking for volunteers who would like to help expand Log2Log. Contact Deltik
if you would like to help.